You need just three ingredients for this recipe, including the drumsticks themselves! They take a little while to crisp up in the oven, but are little-to-no maintenance while they’re in there. Say goodbye to messing up your kitchen deep-frying drumsticks!
The drumsticks come out of the oven super flavorful from the brine and don’t need any seasoning or sauce, but I’ve included a couple easy sauce options just in case for those that want some added pop.
Crispy Oven-Baked, Jalapeno-Brined Chicken
By: Mia Cee || Resting Hungry Face
brine from jar of pickled jalapeno peppers
aluminum-free, corn-free baking powder (I used Pamela’s Baking Powder)
1. Put the drumsticks in a zip lock bag and add enough jalapeno brine to submerge them. Stick in the fridge for as long as possible up to a day.
2. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
3. Drain the drumsticks and pat dry with a paper towel.
4. Spread some baking powder on a dish and roll the drumsticks so they get evenly coated with a thin layer of baking powder.
5. Place drumsticks skin side up on a grill rack and bake for 30 minutes on a lower oven rack. Turn temperature up to 425 degrees.
6. Continue cooking for 45 more minutes on a higher oven rack, turning the grill rack halfway through, until the skin is golden brown and crispy and internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
7. Serve the drumsticks as is or with a dipping sauce if you prefer. Honey mustard or a mixture of Sriracha and mayo are good options.
** Use as small a zip lock bag as possible to minimize the amount of brine you need. However long you marinate the drumsticks, flip the bag a few times.
** The drumsticks need to be propped up over a pan or tray so the fat can render out (melt), which allows crisps up the skin.
** If you don’t have reservations about cooking with aluminum foil, you can also prop the chicken up on crumpled balls of foil.
** Spread parchment paper over the bottom of the pan for easy cleanup.