By: Mia Cee || Resting Hungry Face
Makes 1 cup
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons fish sauce
1.5-2 tablespoons tamarind concentrate
1 tablespoon coconut aminos
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, more to taste
2 cloves roasted garlic, smashed
2 teaspoons roasted shallots, smashed
sweetener to taste (see note below)
1. Whisk together the vinegars, fish sauce, tamarind pulp and coconut aminos.
2. Toast the pepper, onion, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and cayenne in a dry skillet over medium heat.
3. When the spices start smoking (about 1 minute), add the garlic and shallots and toss in the spices.
4. Add the vinegar mix, bring to a simmer, and remove from heat. Taste and adjust with sweetener. After adding your sweetener, turn the heat back on low and stir until it reaches a simmer again.
5. Cool and store in the fridge.
** The first time I made this, I thought it tasted best with 3 tablespoons of honey. A couple of years later, 1 tablespoon of erythritol tastes best to me.
** You can strain the sauce once it’s cool if you want a pure liquid. I generally don’t because 1) I hate waste; 2) I don’t mind little bits of garlic and shallot ending up in whatever I’m eating.