Thai Basil Pork Stir-Fry
By: Mia Cee || Resting Hungry Face
2 tablespoons coconut or avocado oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. / 450 grams ground pork
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon coconut aminos
1/2 teaspoon chili powder, more or less to taste
1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
1/2 cup packed holy basil
salt and pepper to taste
2 eggs, optional
1. Heat the oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, add the minced garlic and fry until the garlic starts turning golden brown.
2. Add the ground pork and stir-fry for around 2 minutes until it is mostly brown.
3. Add the fish sauce, coconut aminos, chili powder, and five-spice powder and stir fry for another 1-2 minutes.
4. When the meat is cooked through (no more red), taste and adjust with salt and pepper if needed.
5. Add the basil and stir just until the basil wilts. Transfer the pork to a bowl.
6. Optional: Serve the pork with an egg on top. If you still have some liquid left in the pot, turn the heat up until it boils and then lower heat to medium. Crack the eggs in and cook to your degree of preference. I do it this way because I hate waste and coconut aminos is not cheap, but you can also just fry the eggs in oil as you would normally would.
7. If after poach-frying the eggs you still have sauce remaining, you can turn the heat up to reduce it (until it turns thick and bubbly) and drizzle the reduced sauce over the top of the dish.
** You can subsitute ground chicken or beef for the pork.